It’s virtually impossible to avoid shopping. We all need to buy things, but there are ways to make each purchase more frugal and efficient. Purchasing things online can save you time and money. It offers convenience and helps you to avoid all the unnecessary extras that seem to end up in your shopping cart.
Like so many aspects of our lives, shopping experiences have been improved by the internet. Smart shoppers go online instead of heading to the mall.
Secrets Of A Savvy Online Shopper
Here are some secrets that savvy shoppers use when shopping or researching online.
Go online to conduct some quick research:
- Check out weekly ads online to spot sales without needing to wait for the Sunday paper. To conserve your time, visit a site that has weekly ads for multiple stores or bookmark a site that you visit often.
- If you plan to go to a store or restaurant, you can search for free printable shopping coupons and restaurant coupons.
Go for convenience:
- If you’ve ever experienced the hassle of loading and unloading shopping bags from the cart to the car to the home in the rain and getting the kids or the dog in and out, you can appreciate having your purchases delivered straight to your home or office.
- Have you ever driven to a store and realized it wasn’t open? Imagine stores being open when you want them to be. You can buy online any time of day, even when the retail stores are closed.
Experience less pressure to buy what you don’t need:
- You are in control when you shop online. You can avoid the pushy sales staff’s influence to buy complimentary items and prevent yourself from loading up on impulse buys.
- Viewing your electronic shopping cart and seeing the total bill before checkout allows you to modify your order without the embarrassment of deciding to put items back while at the cash register.
The opportunity for more savings:
- You can find free coupon codes to save money at nearly any store. A quick search on a coupon website can uncover multiple offers at the each store for free shipping, a percentage off or free items with purchase.
- You can earn cash back for free when you shop through a savings website. In addition to using coupons, you can actually earn a percentage of your transaction in a free account. When you are ready to collect, you simply request a check.
- You can use a rewards credit card to earn points or more cash back. In addition to coupons and cash back, you can rack up rewards on a credit card when you use that to pay. When used correctly, a credit card can actually help you save. Consider any fees when you select your card and be sure you know how and when to redeem your rewards.
Give yourself gift cards:
- For stores you frequently shop at, consider purchasing discounted gift cards online. You’ll pay a fraction of the price.
Become a free member of group buying sites:
- For more savings on top of the already great discounts, you can purchase Groupons through a savings site to earn cash back on top of your savings. The rate today (3/13/2012) at BeFrugal.com is up to 8%.
Jon Lal is founder of BeFrugal.com, which offers free money-saving resources including coupons, Cash Back, tools, advice, weekly ads and more. For a limited time there is a $10 bonus offered when you sign up for a free account.
Share Your Thoughts: